Monday, January 17, 2005

01-17-2005

I had this crazy dream last night, where half of it is one that I've had before and the other half is totally new. The totally new part had something to do with secret agents or something, I don't really remember, and the other half had to do with a concert by some legendary punk band (like a fictional/dream Sex Pistols or something) where they are playing in what looks a lot like Samford's auditorium and there is this really weird, hypnotic song that they open with and it's all tribal drum rhythm and droning lyrics but the lyrics are really stupid punk lyrics about anarchy and wankers and stupid crap like that, but anyway there is some sort of accident on the dock (I know, right?) outside the auditorium and all these people are drowning but the drummer used to work as a crane operator so he runs out and is using this crane to rescue people but that part of the dream never actually happens, I'm just watching the show and waiting on that part to come because I've had the dream before and I knew after the song there would be a big crash and the drummer would be out there working the crane and everything and I think maybe this whole watching movies non-stop is starting to get to me because I totally knew it was going to happen just like I know what is going to happen in a movie I've already seen and it's not like I'm really in my dreams or taking part in them but rather I'm just an observer, like with watching movies. I'm kind of freaked out by it.

52) The Tango Lesson. So watching this I had two thoughts. Thought the first: the politics of the tango? You've got to be kidding me. It's interesting that I read that review the same day as I read this from Ace of Spades. There's nothing political at all about this movie. It's about her falling in love with a vain dancer and the problems that ensue. That's it! Get a life. Thought the second: does my (now formerly) secret love of ballroom dancing make me gay? I wish I could tango! I so need to find a girl that will take ballroom lessons with me. You know, next year.

53) Spartan. I like the Mamet and Val Kilmer grew on me with The Salton Sea, so I was looking forward to this. I'm glad I didn't make it to the theater like I had wanted to when it was still out so I could watch it now. Mamet can be very talky, but this moved right along and the requisite plot twists were always enjoyable, if expected. Plus, Al Bundy! Anyway, Van called while I was watching it and suggested I take care of the entire Joe Don Baker ouevre in one clip, but I really don't see that happening. I've been pretty fortunate to pick movies that I've either always meant to see or at least look like something I would normally like without running into too many duds, so for the time being I'm going to try to stick with that lofty ideal without having to take a bullet and start watching movies just to watch them. Ye olde Netflix queue is full up and I keep finding more that look good every time they ship something and a few spaces open, so I'm hoping I'm going to be okay. But hey, January isn't even over yet so who knows what November will bring.

54) The Good Thief. I was going to quit after Spartan tonight, but nothing else was on and I figured I might as well get another one in to jump to 2+ on the count. I've never seen Bob le Flambeur, though I've always meant to (it's been on my Netflix queue for at least two years now and just keeps getting bumped), and I had decided I would see it before I saw the remake but it was either this or The Fall of the Roman Empire and I decided to play the time management game. I'd be tempted to make a "and in the role of Nick Nolte...Nick Nolte!" joke, but I guess heroin really isn't something to joke about. Anyway, what a great movie. Excellent performances all around and the direction kept the movie at a good pace without sacrificing anything from the story. I'm putting this on my list of DVDs to pick up once the year is over.

54 down, 946 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home