Sunday, January 16, 2005

01-16-2005

48) Breakout. Looks like whoever wrote Proof of Life might be a Bronson fan. Instead of Duvall being a kidnap victim he's stuck in prison and Bronson isn't a professional recovery man but he does fall in love with the guy he's trying to rescue's wife. They never really say why Duvall get's framed, just that he's causing trouble for some fruit company and the CIA (?). Not very well thought out, but a young Randy Quaid is in it so I guess that makes up for it.

49) In Good Company. I took advantage of my movie passes from Steve and Donna (thanks guys!) to get out to the theater today. Charity and Sarah wanted to see this and it looked pretty good from the previews so I figured what the heck. I like Dennis Quaid a lot (two Quaids in one day!), but I hate Topher Grace, so Johannsen had to be the tie breaker. Decent enough. Sarah says I'm getting desensitized to watching movies now so I'm just kind of liking everything I see and not really paying attention, but it's not really that. I can find things that I dislike about most any movie I watch, but I've always tried to to keep in mind that so long as I'm entertained and don't feel cheated out of my time and/or money by them then they've served their purpose. A lot of people get all snotty about film as art and they should have meaning and blah blah blah, but movies were made for diversions and entertainment. It's very rare that I can take seriously a movie that is supposed to be art (see Fandy y Lis) and rarer still that I find one that actually delivers something so profound and beautiful that I think it deserves the label (see The Seventh Seal). I mean, why not try to find reasons to like a movie instead of reasons not to? It's not like you'll get the time back you spent watching it, and unless there is nothing at all likeable about it (I'm talking to you Haiku Tunnel) you might as well focus on the good. Was this the best movie I've ever seen? Nope. But it was good enough to keep me watching for two hours without wishing it would hurry up and be over already. Can I really ask for more?

Quick Sports Aside: I think it's funny that Indy just can't seem to beat New England, but now I'm a little nervous that the Steelers have to play them since they'll have Dillon back and Pittsburgh didn't really look good against The Jets. I still think the Super Bowl is going to be Pittsburgh and Philly, but a Patriots/Falcons match up wouldn't surprise me at all.

Desperate Housewives Update: Bree is in the NRA?! I love her so!

50) Troy. The only thing I knew about the Trojan War before watching this was from a brief overview in 7th grade history and that's only that Helen was taken from Sparta and there was a big wooden horse involved. I did manage to read The Odyssey three times in high school, but I never got to The Iliad so I was ignorant of all the historical innacuracies and changes that everyone complained about. I take it the moral of the story is that Orlando Bloom and his silly little teenstache are no good for anyone. Also, the French chose to name their capital after a cowardly philanderer and libertine that goes around making trouble and then expects better men to take care of it? Shock! Of course, despite all his failings he still managed to slay the greatest warrior in the world, so maybe they figured his luck would rub off on them. Still waiting... Anyway, it was fun to watch and didn't feel like a three hour epic so me and Troy are straight.

51) Basic. I would have to watch this after that whole accentuate the positive tirade. Good performances throughout, but ultimately the story outclevered itself.

51 down, 949 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home