Tuesday, January 11, 2005

01-11-2005

Okay, can we all just agree that Todd Rundgren isn't classic rock? There's nothing wrong with the Rundgren, per se, but Bang the Drum All Day? Really? Yeah, so 99.5 keeps playing him all of a sudden, and today they followed him up with Free For All, which completely put the complete and total lack of rock inherent in the Rundgren's music into glaring perspective. "When in doubt, I whip it out, I got me a rock 'n roll band, it's a free for all" vs. "I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on your drum all day." Clear winner? The Nuge. And you can't even be all "yeah, but no one can make a song about percussion cool, not even Gloria Estefan!" to which I would have to say "T. Rex? Bang a Gong? You're built like a car you've got a hubcap diamond star halo? You're dirty sweet and you're my girl? Get it on? Bang a gong? Get it on? Remember that one?" Yeah. They've also started playing Bowie a lot which totally pisses me off too, cause Sufragette City? No. Fame? No. Golden Years? No. Rock 'n Roll Suicide? Okay, but only because it sounds like a Queen song. Of course they never play that one. Ever. I hate 99.5.

32) City of Ghosts. As I suspected, the editing could have been tighter to avoid the whole "look at me, I'm directing my first real movie" kind of feeling, and the story could have used a little more work, but as a first effort? Kudos to you Matt Dillon.

33) Along Came Polly. There was a time when Ben Stiller could never have made a bad movie. But had I known that Alec Baldwin would be making his odious presence felt I probably would have skipped this one. It was kind of lame, and my total lack of information concerning the Anniston/Pitt breakup made me kind of weird about whether or not I should be rooting for Polly. It just seemed like a very poor substitute for There's Something About Mary. Philip Seymour Hoffman was the only bright spot in the whole movie.

34) The Philadelphia Story. One of the few Cary Grant comedies that I hadn't seen. Absolutely loved it. It fits right in with all the other Hepburn/Grant screwballs with it's quick dialogue and absurdist wit. I was thinking about why old black & whites are so different to me while watching this and I guess it's just because it's black and white that it doesn't seem real. New movies are just acting caught on film. You can picture the actors working on the movie and and know it's not real, but trying to picture these being shot in real life is just beyond me. It's like they're total fabrications and it makes them more fantastic. I don't know, whatever. So yeah, Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant in one movie? Excellent.

34 down, 966 to go (and back on schedule!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home