Wednesday, January 12, 2005

01-12-2005

35) Gunga Din. Clouds so swift and rain fallin' in, gonna see a movie called Gunga Din, put up your money, pack up your tent McGuinn, cause you ain't going nowhere....
I never thought I'd be getting movie recommendations from a Dylan song (and the third version recorded on a greatest hits album no less), but here we are. Yeah, so for some reason I could not keep my eyes open at all watching this. It took me forever to get through it because I had to keep backing it up to figure out what was going on, which is a real shame (and kind of weird) because I was really enjoying it. I was expecting an old adventure movie, but what I got was a crazy "buddy" action/comedy sort of deal and it was awesome. Cary Grant was genuinely silly in this one instead of the usual charming wit he deploys in later comedies and the whole thing was just amazing. Very pleasant surprise. I'll revisit this later and watch it when i can manage to stay awake through the whole thing and not have to worry about missing something. Just excellent. Oh yeah, Steve spotted what looked like one guy peeing in another's mouth and that was pretty funny too, because I am 8.

36) The Terminal. Was I initially drawn to this movie because of the prospect of Catherine Zeta Jones as a saucy stewardess? Yes. And it totally paid off. I really like movies where the idea is so ludicrous (though I understand this is loosely based on a real incident) that you can kind of see the thinking behind the story. So where's a crazy place to set a movie? An airport! Why would the whole movie be set there? Cause the main character can't leave! Why not? Because his country no longer exists! And etc. Very Bad Things was one that I feel terrible for liking but the reasoning behind the story (take a simple situation and make the absolute worst thing that could happen happen and go from there) was so ingenious you have to love it. I feel the same way about this. Excellent storytelling is what really makes a movie enjoyable and the writers took a bunch of tired themes (fish out of water, cold hearted beuracracy vs. the little guy, the other woman, yadda yadda) and placed them into a fantastic and original situation to make them new again. A great idea that definetely panned out.

Foolish Side Project Update: I've pretty well given up on the idea of watching Alias. I finished off the first season and I just haven't been able to bring myself to start in on the second. It's not that the show is bad or anything. In fact, I think it's a very well done series, but I just really don't care. Nothing has really inspired me to want to keep watching and find out what happens next. Maybe I'll pick them back up later but for now the Foolish Side Project will have to wait.

36 down, 964 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home