Sunday, January 16, 2005

01-15-2005

After a good night's rest I'm back in the movie mood. Thinking about The Heiress now, I really did enjoy it. It's definetely one of those Golden Age of Hollywood period dramas that no actor or director would be able to match today. The Lady Eve was just okay. It was strange seeing Henry Fonda all clean shaven and naive when I'm used to seeing him as a grizzled tough guy in westerns. Railroaded was a pretty standard issue noir, nothing special but still watchable. So on to today's specials:

42) Return of the Badmen. Robert Ryan is a true badass as The Sundance Kid (take that Redford) and Randolph Scott and Gabby Hayes are their usual solid western selves. The perfect thing to get me back in the right frame of mind.

43) Random Harvest. Another classic like The Heiress that would be impossible to pull off today. Definetely a weepy soap opera, but a well done one. Greer Garson, I think I love you.

44) Oxygen. Just in time to make me reconsider the whole being in a mood to watch movies again. Just awful. Why Maura Tierney? Why? The money? It looked like straight to video crap so I doubt that was it. You just couldn't turn down the excellent script and chance to play such an original and intriguing character? Unless they shot a whole different movie and left it on the cutting room floor and released this incredibly poor take on a tired theme I doubt that too. I can at least say Adam Brody did succeed in creating a villain that was completely and utterly repugnant in every way, and his shirt gave me more proof that only the completely and utterly repugnant listen to Husker Du. After watching this I was very happy to take a break and watch the Steelers/Jets game. That's right Jets. You could have won. TWICE. But you didn't. Even when the Steelers screw up and play like crap they can't be beat!

45) Without a Paddle. Robin's in town so we went to see this. She'd seen it before and has a crush on Seth Green so of course she wanted to see it again. Stupid, but worth a few laughs.

46) Saw. Robin is a sissy cause she was scared of the stupid ventriloquist dummy. Sissy! Yeah, the film's makers definetely thought they were more clever than it turned out. Stylish direction but the story was kind of weak.

47) Soul Plane. I should have just bought this instead of renting it. So stupid but so funny. New favorite quote: "I've got a lot of strength in my slap a bitch arm."

47 down, 953 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home