Saturday, July 30, 2005

07-30-2005

570) Colorado Territory. Seeing as how this is a western remake of High Sierra using the same director, it got me to thinking. What if more directors took their stories and reset them in different time periods? Like, if DePalma were to make Scarface or Carlito's Way into a western? Or if Kelly's Heroes was set during the Civil War? Any crime drama would pretty well translate to the western genre, really. And what if they actually used the principle actors for the same characters? Ginger Snaps was pretty much remade in an 18th century frontier setting as Ginger Snaps Back with the same actresses playing roughly the same characters. Just something I thought about.

571) The Bone Collector. Good mostly for the actors. The story was a little dumb and the ending was kind of "what? That guy is the killer?!" but it's an enjoyable watch.

572) The Faculty. Sarah said this sucked, but I loved it. First, look at the cast:
Josh Hartnett, Famke Janssen, Elijah Wood, Salma Hayek, Jon Stewart, Clea DuVall, Piper Laurie, Bebe Neuwirth (one of the truly great unheralded hotties of our time), Christopher McDonald, Robert Patrick, and I'll even count Danny Masterson though he hasn't done jack except for That 70s Show. Second, tons of Alice Cooper covers on the soundtrack. I remember when it came out and they played a snippet of Schools Out over the trailer but it was being sung all sultry by some chick that you imagined was probably draped over a piano in a daringly cut evening gown while recording it and I knew I knew what song it was from and never could place it and when I finally did I resolved to see it but then never did because I'm like that but now I finally have. Third, Robert Rodriguez. After From Dusk 'til Dawn I'll watch anything he directs (save the Spy Kids movies, though I might wind up giving them a shot). So yeah. Loved it.

573) Hoosiers. Another one I'm a little embarassed to say I've never seen, but I just don't care enough about basketball to watch movies about them. Especially high school basketball. I mean, I can kind of get the whole obsession with high school football in some places. There isn't a very big one here unless you are actually attending that high school or have children playing on the team, but no one went to high school basketball games here EVER. I don't think the players even bothered to show up. So anyway, yeah, the redemptive nature of sports and molding young men into a team and blah blah blah.

573 down, 427 to go.

Finally got my cable and internet. They were supposed to come yesterday afternoon between 1 and 3 so I came home and sat here til 1:45 when they called and said no one could come out today so they'd be here between either 8 and 12 or 1 and 5 tomorrow. I asked the guy if he could maybe narrow it down a little more since that pretty well covered the entire day and he was like "nah, but they'll probably be there sometime tomorrow morning." So I woke up at 8 and they actually showed up at 8:45 and got everything working and I am now officially in love with cable internet. I had DSL before and didn't really believe all the hype about cable being so much faster because DSL was pretty darn fast and it's not like I was downloading gigantic files all the time or anything so even if it wasn't as fast it was fast enough, but now I'm wondering how I ever lived with DSL. Cause this cable business is FAST, people. FAAAAAAAST. Yeah, so that was a plus.

I also went and got all the rest of my crap from the old apartment and swept it out a little so they wouldn't think I was a total filthy degenerate when they came to inspect the place. Because anyone that saw it after we moved all the furniture off the top of the dust piles would know that I am, in fact, a filthy degenerate. Of course, Lee's room was actually a little worse than mine so there is that. I mean, there was dust a half inch thick under my bed, but at least there weren't giant cobwebs hanging from each corner. I don't know how we ever lived in that place without getting the plague or ebola or something. So to those of you that we actually defended our cleanliness to, let me be the first to admit we were wrong and you were so so right.

Even though it's only 8:45 I'm tired. To bed, and Honey Daniels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home