Saturday, January 22, 2005

01-22-2005

60) Earthquake. Lee had this DVD and I always kind of wondered about it, plus I've always been a fan of Chuck Heston. I got his autobiography for Christmas about ten years ago and I got about half way through it before going back to school and having to put it down, and I never picked it up again. I wish I had though, it was pretty interesting and what I got through I truly enjoyed. Anyway, what really drew me to it was noticing that the script was done by Mario Puzo so for curiosity's sake I popped it in. It wasn't anything special, but it ended on a really big down note and was more depressing than the usual disaster movie.

61) Lone Star. I've started to really look forward to Saturday mornings because TCM always shows a good western at 9. This one was kind of weird though. So far they've usually been shoot-em-up B westerns, but this one was a little different. There were the usual gunfights and brawling, but the whole political intrigue element seemed so out of place in a western. Anyway, there were horses and indians and people getting shot, so good enough for me.

62) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. So it's come to this. A French musical. Other than Elvis pictures or the occasional Martin & Lewis I don't usually cotton to musical interludes in movies, but this was such a different approach that it sort of worked. All of the dialogue (and I mean ALL) was sung so it wasn't like they were breaking into song (and thankfully the only dancing took place naturally on the dance floor), so the singing was just part of the story. Due to the whole story being told through song and the constraints that it placed on the script the story was pretty simplistic and there wasn't a lot of character development, but I could have almost hit mute and just read the subtitles and it would have still been a passable romantic drama. Plus it was all vibrant colors and elegantly understated direction so it was also very pretty to look at. Surprisingly, I'm down with this. I even liked it so much that, at least until she got knocked up, I forgot that Catherine Deneuve is a dirty whore.

63) Van Helsing. Kate, I hear you've moved on and gotten married. And after I watched Pearl Harbor AND The Last Days of Disco for you. At least we'll always have Underworld.

64) Only Angels Have Wings. I was really surprised by this one. It started out really uneven, but settled into the story at about the 20 minute mark and turned out to be pretty good. One note though; if your pilots sit around in a bar drinking all day long, how do you expect them to fly?

65) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I probably would have liked this a lot if it had been my first Charlie Kaufman, but he's starting to become old hat. There's nothing wrong with the movie, it's pretty good, but it's just not fresh anymore. Whatever.

65 down, 935 to go.

It's going to be rough the next few days. Tomorrow afternoon is pretty much a wash with the playoffs on, so hopefully I can get at least three in in the morning and only be two off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home