Thursday, January 27, 2005

01-26-2005

So instead of staying home and watching movies last night, I went to see.....RIVERDANCE! Which was freaking awesome. Charity had told me tuesday that her and Sarah and Krista were going and I acted all outraged that they would go without me because I love The Riverdance, so yesterday Sarah calls and says Krista is sick so do I want to go, and of course I did! So Sarah was all worried because she didn't really have anything nice to wear since she's been staying at her parents this week and Charity said she was dressing up (and she did too) but I was like "it's the touring company of a decade old phenomenon in Birmingham on a wednesday night, you'll be okay" and I was, as usual, right. I told her I was going to wear my Alabama hat and she was mortified, but I figured I'd probably see somebody wearing one even though I had been joking. No such luck, but one really old guy was wearing a denim shirt with the Auburn logo embroidered on it and he and one of the ushers were talking about being in school at Auburn back in the 60s and how they always played Florida State because they were a pushover team back then, so things were mostly normal. Plus all the guys that got dragged to it by their wives/girlfriends were in the martini bar watching basketball. Anyway, the concert hall was a ghost town. I'd be surprised if it was even half full. Which was a shame because Riverdance was awesome! It started out with a darkened stage and all this smoke was rolling across the stage and then this big booming announcers voice comes over the speakers "Out of the darkness we came..." and I almost busted out laughing because it was so much like the scene from Spinal Tap when they are doing the druid song or whatever it is and I was waiting for a tiny little stonehenge to come down from the ceiling but, alas, it never came. As we were watching I came to realize that my love for The Riverdance comes from the fact that The Riverdance is a musical manifestation of everything that I am! I was sitting there thinking about it and it totally is. First, good fiddle music! I mean, I thought up a lot of snotty things to say about "gee, I didn't know that traditional celtic music was so heavy on the synth, I wonder how they lugged those things around back then" but there was always a fiddle going, even during the silly jazz tap dancing number. This also explains my love of bluegrass and zydeco music. I used to say that if there was any instrument that I'd love to be the absolute master of it would be the cello, but really I'd give up a toe to be able to fiddle like Vassar Clements. Second, ludicrous pageantry at it's finest! Third, leggy broads prancing around in short skirts! That's the true reason I was initially drawn to The Riverdance. I remember them being on Letterman many years ago and that's the only reason I paid any attention at first, until I realized how completely awesome the dancing and everything was. Oh that I could Riverdance with you, blonde girl on the far right! You had my heart for one night, don't let Marcia Cross know. Fourth, percussion! Anyone that knows me knows I go around clapping and banging on things at inappropriate times and for no good reason, and almost the whole show is devoted to a bunch of people stomping around on a wooden stage. Fifth, my (formerly) secret love of dance! I took tap when I was a kid! I loved it! I always secretly wished I had continued to! See, The Riverdance is me! Why am I so gay?!

So anyway, I did get some work done last night. I finished up Berlin Express (#71). Hot post WWII occupied Germany political intrigue action! It was decent, but the weird narration over the stock footage of the bombed out Frankfurt made it seem like a Twilight Zone episode, and the whole "can't we all just get along" moment at the end was ridiculously cheesy. But it still goes to show that even as a nutritionist Bob Ryan is a total bad ass. We started The Three Faces of Eve (#72) before leaving for The Riverdance (!) and I finished it up when I got back. Sarah was totally into it, but I wasn't all that impressed. Apparently it's based on a true story, and had I seen it when it first came out and no one really knew about multiple personalities or schizophrenia or anything it probably would have been pretty shocking, but I just had a real "whatever" sort of feeling.

Man, I am way behind. I need to watch 4 tonight and 4 tomorrow just to be back on schedule, but that's not happening. I'm going to drive out to Calera to watch The OC and eat with Sarah tonight so I doubt I'll even get one in tonight. The weekend is going to be rough!

Special Note to Donna (everyone else quit reading): Donna, we need to talk. You insisted I do this blog so that you could keep up with my exploits and make comments and everything, but you've yet to comment, or even send me an e-mail. I'm hurt and/or dismayed. Just thought you should know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in what world is broad an acceptable term for a woman?

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home