Tuesday, September 20, 2005

09-20-2005

733) A Time for Killing. I was almost kind of pissed about the Union getting Glenn Ford and Han Solo while we get stuck with George Hamilton, but then we also got Harry Dean Stanton and JETHRO! Seriously, Jethro was a psycho in this one. If the CSA had an air force, or even reasonably strong birds, they could have dropped in the middle of the Army of the Potomac with a knife in each hand and he would have gutted half their forces before they brought him down. He was THAT psycho. Anyway, am I wrong in getting a mixed message from the director here? Isn't the idea of making a movie about the futility of war set during the war that ended slavery a little off somehow?

734) Last of the Comanches. This had the weirdest dialogue of any western so far. Broderick Crawford always played kind of a tough guy in noirs and so they wrote his part like that, so he's talking to the indians all "Are you on the level?" and using fifties hard-boiled slang. It's crazy. Also, I might have to rethink my whole drowning would be the worst way to die stance. Flaming arrow through the stomach? Has to suck.

734 down, 266 to go.

- I don't know why Hot Corn, Cold Corn is stuck in my head but it's driving me crazy. I literally haven't heard the song in years but the other day at work I kept having to go upstairs and then back downstairs and I started thinking "upstairs, downstairs, I'll be in the kitchen..." and ever since then...

7 Comments:

Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

How is this unusual (re: A Time for Killing)? Rebels, Civil War, prisoners, Mexico. Didn't Joe Namath do a film like this?

BTW -- in Bear's autobiog (which that evil bitch neighbor of mine stole) he joked about Pennsylvanian Namath claiming the South, even getting mad at "Yankee journalists" or something to that effect. I got I kick out of it.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

I = a -- copyediting mistake.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

i remember reading about namath's adopted southern accent and all that. it kind of makes sense for him though, growing up in a small mining town. country is country, no matter what state you're in. like bocephus said, "we're from north california and south alabama and little towns all around this land."

7:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hot Corn Cold Corn is an awesome tune. I love Leftover Salmon's version.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

i saw them play it at the variety in atlanta and jimmy herring was there so instead of "bring along a demijohn" vince kept singing "bring along jimmy herring". that vince, he's a character. i actually haven't seen LoS since mark died. i always had such good times at their shows, but seeing them when they were touring with john cowan after tye and sipe quit left me cold. it was the drew and john show the whole night and the wild wacky band was totally gone. it was sad really.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. I never saw them after Mark died either. You know his dad used to be on Leftover Salmon listservs back in the day (pre message board internet stuff!) Anyway, Mark's dad or grandad was originally from Trussville. He even told us there's a section of Trussville called "Vann Valley" that's named after their family. We checked it out, and it exists....

7:26 AM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

i knew his dad would post to the listserv sometimes but i never know they were from trusville. there's an alabama connection with everything, man.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home