Friday, September 16, 2005

And for a minute there, I lost myself...

Talk about a detuned radio, 99.5 had been giving me fits lately. First off, where's the rock gone? In one hour's time yesterday I heard one Skynyrd song (That Smell) and the rest was filled with the likes of Jackson Browne and Journey. Then, to put the weird cherry on top, they played The Thrill is Gone. That's right people. B.B. King. On a classic rock station. Which, that's fine. I like B.B. King. I even considered calling in a request for How Blue Can You Get?. But that's just a little weird, even if they have taken to playing a lot of SRV lately. SRV can play the blues, no doubt, but he really falls more into the blues-rock category so that's understandable, but B.B. is closer to soul and R & B than blues or rock and it just seemed wrong.
And then today, Pearl Jam. Even Flow. On a classic rock station. They too are a little more understandable than B.B. King, but I was in high school when Ten came out. Music from the 90s isn't classic yet. I mean, they play Aerosmith songs from the 90s, but Aerosmith is a classic band. Pearl Jam wasn't around til the 90s. I'm weirded out now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've heard Guns n' Roses on classic rock stations too.

Is the Blazeman still on 99.5?

6:04 AM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

Yep, the Blazeman is still around. He mostly just does fill in and late night work though.
I'm cool with G n' R on the classic rock. They have the rock sound and they waited until the 00s to start playing bands from the nineties. Pearl Jam, I can see them as a classic rock act in another 10 years, but it was just weird hearing them the other day, especially since they still get played on the modern rock stations.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home