Friday, September 16, 2005

09-16-2005

-Went to Lee's to cook out tonight. I watched some of the UTEP/Houston game, and I sure am glad UAB has a decent defense because I doubt they'd survive a shoot out in El Paso.

-If by "hope" they mean "show up"...

-Me and Van took a road trip one time (I think this was when we went to North Carolina but that seems wrong for some reason) and were dialing through the local radio stations and came across one playing "Big River" and thought "hey, that's cool, Cash on the radio" and then they played "Folsom Prison Blues" and it was like "oh, must be a double play gimmic" and then they played "There Ain't No Good Chain Gang" and I knew that the only reason radio stations played older artist's songs back to back anymore was when they died and so I freaked out and we pulled in at the next station and looked at all the papers and didn't see anything so I thought maybe he had just died that morning after they had all gone to print so I was flipping out and we got back in the car and it turned out that it really was just a gimmic where the station played three in a row from a given artist, but it scared the crap out of me. Which is why, Yahoo!, you really shouldn't put a headline like Blues Legend B.B. King Turns 80 on your front page, because anyone who reads it will only see Blues Legend B.B. King and immediately think he's dead. I thought I'd jinxed him by talking about him earlier. Thanks for the scare, jerks.

-I've never really considered this before, but is UT a hated rival for everyone? There seems to be a lot of people that have UT playing in their meteor game and I can honestly say I've never heard a single positive thing said about the Vols by anyone but their own fans. I know I hate them as a Bama fan, but the sincere depths of hatred reserved for UT by every other football fan I've met is astounding. Even all the Auburn fans I know hate them and, logically, shouldn't they be for UT in a whole enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of deal? I pull for Georgia because anyone that hates both Auburn and Tennessee as much as I do can't be all bad. And yeah, I hate Auburn, but that's really more of a principle thing. They're the annoying little brother of the state (unlike the cool cousin, UAB) and sometimes they can be allright (like when they beat UT) and you can have a few laughs together, but their fans are so fairweather and they have such a huge inferiority complex that even during their "people's champions" season they were more interested in our failures than their successes. It's embarassing really, since they're in for a few rough years (it's the one to two good seasons a decade principle) and after this season you won't be able to find an Auburn fan outside of Lee County. I look at Auburn like this: if they win, okay, if they lose, haha, and when they take the field against the Tide I want them beaten bloody and crying for their mothers while Tubby looks confused and does his stupid, half-hearted "good effort" clap while straining to hear if any jet engines are being fired up nearby. Hell, I even like the City of Auburn, I've always had a lot of fun there. On the other hand, I want the entire city of Knoxville razed and pillaged and their women carried away as trophies by invading hordes of barbarians, who would have the element of surprise since local law enforcement would initially confuse them with freshman recruits. Anyway, it's just weird to me that a team can be so universally reviled.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nobody likes Tennessee. Their uniforms are vile. Their fans are vile. Their coach is vile. They're the first SEC program to break the code of honor among thieves. That's a serious taboo, a big fuckin' no-no. I know a guy from Wisconsin that said they were his favorite SEC team, but even he chunked his UT sweatshirt after seeing the fucktardness that is Fulmer the Hut.

My aunt (by marriage) is from TN and was a big UT fan. My uncle (who is good and right and true) has been a 'Bama fan since birth. They went to Neyland for last year's game and my aunt said the TN fans acted so inhospitable and downright mean to my uncle (throwing stuff at him all through the game, vulgar taunting, etc.) that she said she was embarrassed to be a UT fan. Well, she has seen the light and become a 'Bama fan after that episode proving that goodness will always prevail over evil in the end.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the link. You're right no one likes the Vols.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the fans are really obnoxious, that would explain it. I thought there was a consensus that LSU fans were the craziest in the SEC, however. Me, I'm a lifelong Michigan fan and I always kind of liked the Vols (except when they were obliterating us in the '02 Citrus Bowl...not that they could have helped it against that slow-ass Michigan team), because they have a huge stadium (and you had to give them props for having the stones to try to grab the attendance record from Michigan a few years back), great running backs every year, an amusingly goony-looking mascot (live mascots always better than costumes), and seemingly a great tradition.

If part of that tradition is obnoxious fans, it mitigates my feelings somewhat. But is it REALLY worse there than at a dozen other places??? As for Fulmer, if somebody at Alabama wants to repay him, why wouldn't they have narc'd on him by now? I guess I'm asking how it is that you know Fulmer's dirty too. Schools with flagging traditions, I understand why they cheat. Schools like Alabama and UT, who offer a program that should sell itself, I'm a little more puzzled.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

UT fans are definetely obnoxious. i actually went to knoxville for a concert five or six years ago and i forgot i had a "92 national champions" alabama plate on the front of my car. as luck would have it the concert was actually on the UT campus and as we were driving through to find some parking people were flipping us off left and right, yelling stuff, it was just genuinely hostile and i couldn't figure out why until we got out and i remembered the tag. it was kind of funny then, but everytime i meet a UT fan and they find out I'm a bama fan their immediate reaction is "alabama fucking sucks, you guys suck, fuck you" and it's ridiculous really.

as for fulmer, he broke the honor among thieves code of honor in the SEC. his reasoning for going henry hyde on us wasn't that he wanted to keep college football clean, he was upset because we were out-recruiting him in TN and, his words, he couldn't afford to lose anymore top recruits to us. the only way to keep bama from stealing them out from under his nose was to get the NCAA on us, so he rolled over on us in exchange for the NCAA looking the other way on his own infractions and scandals that otherwise marred his national championship season. and since fulmer is one of those coaches that recruits thugs and delinquents and let's them get away with murder in order to win it makes him and his program the "evil" team in the SEC.

yeah, LSU fans are kind of crazy, but they are more of a fun crazy. they can be kind of obnoxious to visitors, but mostly they're just a bunch of liquored up cajuns having fun. UT fans are the rude and hostile kind, probably the way you feel about Ohio State fans.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, if Fulmer actually managed to negotiate immunity to his own misdeeds that is truly sleazy. I never heard this so I never understood why Alabama didn't just drop a dime on Fulmer as immediate revenge. My next question is, WHY would the NCAA choose to let Tennessee off the hook in order to bust Alabama? Does that seem logical? Doesn't Alabama have like a dozen national championships, which has to be second or third most in the country? It would surprise me less if the roles were reversed; it would still be an unfair decision by the NCAA but you could at least CONCEIVE that the bureaucrats would show Alabama some favoritism, just like it appeared Notre Dame got off without any serious delving into what went on under Holtz, while Michigan State got scholarship reductions.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

the fact that we are more of a traditional football power than UT is what did it. they wanted to make an example of someone and coming down hard on alabama would supposedly show that they were interested in keeping the college programs that they oversee clean. which, give me a break. most bama fans know we did the crime so we weren't pissed about the probation because we thought we were innocent, we were all mad at the way it went down and how the NCAA has shown a completely arbitrary position on this stuff.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home