Sunday, January 30, 2005

01-30-2005

81) The Hidden Fortress. I've actually owned this DVD for about two years now and had only watched the first five or ten minutes before falling asleep. I bought it because it was really cheap somewhere, and I had always heard that it was a big influence on Lucas and Star Wars. I can definetely see that influence, from blueprints of characters like R2 and C3PO, and even shades of Ben Kenobi and Vader, plus locations and sequences from Tatooine and Endor. This was a lot of fun to watch. Way more comedic than the other Kurosawas I've seen that are either serious action or heavy with message.

82) American Outlaws. You know who's hot? Ali Larter.

83) Between Heaven and Hell. I think it was Abraham Lincoln that said "You can make a solid war picture, or you can make a socially conscious character piece about changing cultural norms in the mid-twentieth century south, but you can't make both." I could be wrong though.

84) Blow Up. One of those "I've always meant to see" kind of movies, more for the Yardbirds cameo than anything. The only other Antonioni movie I've seen is L'Avventura, and they both have the same "emptiness of the privileged life" theme, but I liked that this one went a step further with the whole arrogance and pretension that necessarily grows from the isolation of a frivolous existance aspect. I know I'm getting all arty here, and there were parts of this one that were just silly because of their artiness, but I liked it anyway.

85) Black Dog. Nobody puts Randy Travis in a corner! Dude, this is the best worst movie ever. It was just so awful, I loved every freaking minute of it! I'm totally going to have to buy it.

86) Flirting With Disaster. There wasn't just flirting going on here, the movie and disaster totally hooked up in the bathroom and then disaster didn't call the next day like it said it would.

86 down, 914 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home