Monday, August 29, 2005

08-29-2005

676) The Hole. Or Robin's nickname. OH NO HE DI'N'T!! Okay, for reals, this was actually a pretty messed up movie. I liked the whole idea of the script and the storytelling was great, but man, it was still messed up.

677) The Shaft. Or what I'd like to give Naomi Watts. OH NO HE DI'N'T!! It was a total accident that I watched "The Hole" and "The Shaft" back to back, I swear. They just happened to be on TV that way, and on different channels so it's not like some programmer was playing a dirty trick on the network's scheduling. So many things to say about this one. First off, Naomi, it was really good to see you. To tell you the truth, I've been thinking a lot about you, too. I know we hit that snag last time we "tried again" but, damn it, when times are good they are soooo good and I really think we can get there again. Honest I do. I'm willing to work on this if you are. Let me know. Second, a murderous elevator is a pretty lame premise for a supernatural thriller, but everyone involved seemed to really believe in the movie and threw themselves into it so whole-heartedly that it actually worked until it veered into the land of ridiculous when the whole "disgraced-former-weapons-developer-turned-elevator-researcher" angle was introduced. I mean, if you want to make a movie about the military developing "biochips" that become sentient then okay. Jim Cameron already mined that territory but this was straight to video and originality has always been overrated when it comes to making pictures. But when elevator company execs are meeting in the middle of the night in cars parked under bridges to discuss how your elevator expirements have gone horribly awry then that's a little more disbelief than the average bear can suspend. I'm just saying. And then it veered into the land of unsettlingly prescience. This was obviously made Pre-9/11 since the World Trade Center was used in several of the establishing shots, so the filmmakers had no idea what they were saying, but when the President gets on TV to say terrorists have attacked one of our nations greatest landmarks it was a little unsettling. I mean, pre-9/11 it would have just been ridiculous cause like four people had been killed by an elevator and declaring a state of emergency and that we were under attack by terrorists who are mysteriously controlling the express elevator in one building so maybe they should shut down half of New York City with SWAT teams would be a bit of overkill, but post-9/11 it was just eerie. And then to top that off, they had SWAT members deploying stinger missiles to the roof "because terrorists can get planes too, you know." At that point I kind of didn't want to watch anymore since it was just creepy, but then it de-evolved back into a lame-o-rama straight to video thriller and so I finished it up, but still. Weird.

678) Marci X. Some of the titles on Dr. $'s album were pretty funny; "It Ain't My Baby Cause I Don't Like You", "The Power in My Pants", and, my favorite, "I Am the King of Your Mouth" come to mind. Other than that, I was embarassed for everyone involved.

678 down, 322 to go.

Well. My computer is completely fucked up right now so I'm just going to update this while I still can and hopefully have everything fixed by tomorrow. It's looking like I'll have to reformat the hard drive though. I fucking hate computers.

Update: Three hours later and I've reformatted and re-installed a couple of things, mostly necessary drivers. I'll work on re-loading/re-downloading all my old programs tomorrow but I'm too frustrated to bother tonight. The power kept blinking on and off, several times when I would be at 99% complete on installs so my little old lady of a neighbor has now received a phd level course in profanity. I did manage to get The Flamingo Kid (#679) watched while I was doing it though, so the night wasn't a total waste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home