Friday, September 23, 2005

Like a bat out of hell...

...I'll be gone when the morning comes...

God bless, did I just quote a Meatloaf song? So...dirty...won't...wash...off...unclean...UNCLEAN...

So Bama kicks off at 11:30 AM tomorrow morning and that makes me nervous. First off, I have a bad tendency of thinking "yeah, I'll be awake by then, no need to set the alarm" when we play in the morning and then 12:30 rolls around and I turn on the TV to find us down 14 points against Ole Miss with Peyton Manning on the sidelines visiting his little brother and doing the whole smarmy "this is a good Alabama team, they always have good players, the key isn't to get comfortable on the lead" thing and the whole time you know he's thinking "I'm Peyton Manning, bitch!" Sorry, bad memories from two seasons ago. So...dirty...Wait. Anway, like I was saying, I'm a little nervous about tomorrow's game. Logically, we should straight up murder the Razorbacks. I'm talking "5 in the chest and Mike Shula screaming "Riverside, motherfucker!" at centerfield" murder, but my inner pessimist is cautioning me not to get too eager. We've lost the last two. Arkansas always plays us tough. Despite their bottom dwelling status in the SEC the series is at 8-7 Bama. Orson picked us to win. It's on JP Sports, and only in the weird alternate universe of Jefferson Pilot broadcasting can Mississippi State beat Florida. Nutt might decide to throw out the playbook, find out if Robert Johnson's bargain with the devil was a good one, and give him the Matt Jones treatment, all "well, it's the 4th quarter and we're down. Here's the ball, just go do something." You can't defend that sort of random playcalling. So I'm setting my alarm for 11:00 and hoping for the best. Roll Tide.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

I nearly had a panic attack before the Carolina game. But the Tide proved this team is different from the others. They won't lay down or let fuckups ruin the game (see: USM). I'm beginning to believe. I might be in the 'cane then, but I'm going to try to get back. Still, I can't wait until the Florida game so Bama can take it to the haters.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

Don't get me wrong. I'm a believer. This Tide team has been playing better in the first three games than it has the past five seasons. But trap games like this just make me nervous as hell. Once we get through this one, I'll be back to my usual "fuck the trojans, we're coming for you in your own backyard" swagger.

good luck with rita.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man, your post did fuck all for my lack of confidence about tomorrow. I believe we should win, I just hope our boys aren't starting to believe the hype about themselves.

I can't believe I'm having to DVR this game.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

DVR? What would the Bear think? Yeah, there have been some Bama teams in the past that have bought their own hype a little too much and disaster has ensued (i'm thinking UGA '03 when Pat Dye said on Finebaum that Georgia wasn't man enough to play with Bama and we got our asses handed to us. thanks for the bulletin board material, coach). That's worried me too. But like I say, this team is clicking like it hasn't in five years, we're set for a run. I'm actually more worried about this game than I am any of the others.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's incredible. Was Dye serious?!? Was he just trying to stir shit up? The defending-SEC-champion, top-10-ranked Georgia team?! I hear stories like that, and it helps me understand why Dye never got another coaching job after Auburn. God knows a lot of coaches just as tainted or more so got second and third and (Holtz) fourth chances.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

As much as it pains me to say this, Dye has a little more class than those guys. He resigned as AD and HC at Auburn when the scandals first started and never got back into football, which was a classy thing to do (unlike Holtz) since he certainly could have kept on in college football. Of course, he was an assistant to Bryant for awhile so he did have a good role model, even if he chose to sully all that teaching by going to AU. Anyway, he did, in fact, say that. He used to have a weekly appearance on Finebaum but finally got sick of him and quit doing it, but he was giving his predictions about SEC games that week and said he thought Alabama would win because Georgia's team just wasn't as physical and they weren't man enough to handle us. Also, correction, it was the '02 UGA team he was talking about. We didn't play them in '03. Anyway, it was still a damn good UGA team that went on to win the SEC. Actually, that was also the year we won the western division and would have met them again in Atlanta if it hadn't been for NCAA probation and they wound up playing Arkansas and whipping their asses (something like 30-3 I think, it was a slaughter).

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home