Friday, September 30, 2005

09-30-2005

753) Dying Young. Julia Roberts is another one of those actors that I just don't get. She's not particularly talented, she resembles a trout when she smiles, and she also seems like kind of a bitch/freakshow in interviews. Not down with the Roberts. Or this movie. Or rug burns.

754) Sweet Evil. The terrible things I'm willing to do for Veronica Vaughn (so hot, want to touch the heiney)...

754 down, 246 to go.

- I went to the ghetto theater to see The Island and the line was half way through the parking lot. There were never that many people there when it was a nice theater, so I don't know what the deal was. So instead of waiting I went to Best Buy and bought Shooter Jennings's CD and the new Ryan Adams. I started in on Shooter's first, but changed halfway through the first song. If you're going to a) title your album "Put the O Back in Country" b) model the back of the album cover after your father's Honky Tonk Heroes band picture and c) inform us in the title cut that what we've been listening to ain't country then you damn sure better not sound like the same "so close but oh so far", Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney redneck pop-rock with cowboy hats that gets played on country radio all day long. The Adams disc, damn it, is pretty good so far. I hate Ryan Adams the man with a burning passion, and yet I love his music. I thought the spell was broken with Cold Roses, but I'm digging this one so far. Cold Roses would have been fine if Adams's douche bag vanity hadn't gotten in the way and forced a bunch of mediocre "I swear I'm a dead head" cuts that never would have been more than b-sides or outtakes into an album so it would be two discs. It's the Use Your Illusion principle all over again. Axl could have made yet another brilliant rock album, but instead he chose to release two discs with only one disc's worth of material. But the new disc, well, it's country. There are a few brooding, Love Is Hell like piano driven tunes, but what I've heard so far is heartening. There's even a brief foray into countrypolitan that worked out pretty well.

- I sucked it up and went to Publix and damn near hit a guy. Four incredibly annoying Samford kids (Birmingham natives know what I'm talking about) were all over that store and one of them for some reason felt the need to continually antagonize me by yelling at his friends at the top of his lungs while standing right next to me, bumping me in the back as I walked and saying "oh, my bad dude" and generally being the biggest jackass I've ever seen in my life. The other three weren't any better, especially the bitch that had a laugh like a braying donkey and found everything the two guys did highly amusing. Finally, after one bump too many, I turned around and said, no kidding, "get out of this aisle right now and if you see me in another one you better turn your ass around and run the other way" and it totally worked. He had a look of shock like he wanted to say something but then he just turned and walked away and I heard him tell the others "that guy just threatened me" and they all turned to look at me and so I tried not to laugh and just glared instead and my "trying not laugh but glaring instead" glare actually looks pretty menacing, so the rest of the time I was there if I saw any of them they gave me a dirty look and then went the other way. I feel like I'm kind of calling the kettle black here by complaining about their behavior cause Lord knows I've made a fool of myself in public many times, but at a certain point you cross over from being a character and start being rude and these guys really did that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like Cold Roses, but there are some sorry songs on it. I just made a "revised edition" for myself, eliminating the 2-3 songs that I hate. I just removed the ones I hate from my iTunes and then burned my revised editions to disc. The original sits neatly on a shelf.

Samford definately has a high octane douchebag rating.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

that's a good idea for cold roses. i should do that cause i like 7 or 8 of the songs but hate the rest. especially rosebud. really, if every time he picks up his guitar that's the song that always comes, shouldn't they all sound like rosebud?

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home