Monday, February 28, 2005

02-28-2005

160) Papillon. As I feared it began to drag near the end. There were several interminable scenes that could have been edited better, but for the most part it was well worth watching. Only Steve McQueen could make a Frenchman cool.

161) The Four Days of Naples. This is why I'm on board with the Italians. While the French were still cheerfully loading their Jews onto train cars they were out shooting Nazis. This was a superb telling of the story of the Neapolitan rebellion against the Nazi occupation after the Italian army surrendered to Eisenhower. Most war pictures are shown from the point of view of soldiers but seeing the ordinary citizens take up arms to drive out the Nazis after they execute one of their own was far more affecting. I liked this a lot, but sadly I can't seem to find anywhere that has it on VHS or DVD. I hope it gets a release because it's a great movie.

162) I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang. It's always kind of funny to see early talkies because the stage actors are still acting to the back of the house even if the camera is two feet away. I wanted to watch this because I had heard that O Brother, Where Art Thou? was heavily influenced by this but wherever I read that was completely wrong. Other than the fact that Clooney and company are fugitives from a chain gang, these two had nothing in common. I could see it's influence more in than anything Cool Hand Luke. Anyway, this was a pretty brutal picture and hard to watch at times but it was definetely a well done "social" drama, especially for it's day. Just further proof that the government is not to be trusted.

162 down, 838 to go.

Starting this Saturday there shall be westerns on TCM again! I am so excited I could pop!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home