Sunday, February 27, 2005

02-27-2005

A little more productive of a day than yesterday and I was really back into the mood for movie watching so hopefully I can put in some solid time in front of the tube this week. No Desperate Housewives tonight because of the (blech) Oscars so that helped. I'm going to start in on one more (not sure what) as I go to bed but I don't know if I can keep my eyes open for it or not.

154) Disraeli. I imagine this was an early talkie since it seemed more like a filmed play than an actual film. I've always been intrigued by the figure of Benjamin Disraeli so I was interested in seeing this when I saw it on the TCM schedule. Decent biopic but it was pretty shallow, focusing only on the purchase of the Suez Canal.

155) The Lives of a Bengal Lancer. Excellent old adventure picture. Kept me thinking about Gunga Din and how I'd like to see it again. I hope this one gets a good DVD treatment if Universal ever gets around to releasing it cause I'd like to have it.

156) Libeled Lady. Good to know that journalists were scumbags back then, too. Pretty standard screwball farce but the whole thing is enjoyable to watch. Jean Harlow is as gorgeous as always, but Myrna Loy's head is too small for her body and it totally creeped me out.

157) Cobra. Oh how I love the Stallone. This was so bad it was freaking awesome AND one of the killers is the Alien Bounty Hunter! What's not to like? Van, you have got to rent this. You will love it.

158) Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I wanted so badly to like this, but it just had too many things stacked against it. First off, the whole "lookee here what we can do with computers nowadays" was at once incredible and distracting, but it leaned more towards distracting. I can appreciate what all went into the effects and really thought it was done superbly, and I understand that they were going for a real fantasy/adventure kind of feel and maybe it was supposed to seem a little cartoony but at times it was just too cartoony. Secondly, Gwyneth Paltrow can be about as wooden as a hobby horse at times and that was plainly on display here. Some of that might be attributed to having to act with nothing but a blue screen behind you but still, act like you're trying. They might can CG in all kinds of crap behind you, but until they can put a blue screen over your talent and add something there you're going to have to put in a little effort before a woodpecker mistakes you for a post and swoops in. Also, if I can't get on board with you as the leggy intrepid reporter then something is terribly wrong, because I'm all about leggy intrepid reporters over here. And Jolie? HATE. I don't really have a reason to hate her, but the hatred is there and it apparently is never going to go away. So yeah, I wasn't all that thrilled with it. Oh well, at least it was a free rental so I didn't waste any money.

159) Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning. And another one gone/And another one gone/Another one bites the dust... I am so into these right now, I can't WAIT for the next one.

159 down, 841 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home