Wednesday, February 23, 2005

02-23-2005

148) I Heart Huckabees.
Dear Naomi,
I had a really good time tonight, but I'm afraid it's too little too late. I thought we could give it another shot and I really did enjoy myself and I'm so tempted to try to make it work one more time but we both know where that road ends. Things just haven't been the same since 21 Grams and I don't really see how they are ever going to go back to the way they were. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still be friends.
-Todd

Yeah, so I actually found myself liking this in spite of myself. Save for Jude Law before all the ridiculous philosophical bullshit got to him, there isn't a single character in it that I wouldn't absolutely hate were I to meet them in real life. All of the existentialist/nihilist talk kept making me think of all the losers from my philosophy classes (especially this guy named Thoureau who was a total jackass and a disgusting slob to boot. He totally could have written a lot of the dialogue for this) in college and that all these people really needed was a good shot of William James. There was also a whole lot of weird for the sake of weirdness going on, which I HATE in a movie, but somehow I still enjoyed it and kind of wish I could watch it again. It's going on the trusty old Amazon wish list for the time being and I'll just have to see how long it stays there.

149) Eulogy.
Dear Zooey,
I had a lot of fun with you tonight but I just got out of a relationship and I'm not really in that kind of place right now. I'm flattered, really I am, but I just don't think it will work out right now. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still be friends.
-Todd

I'm not usually keen on ensemble comedies and this is the perfect example of why. There are always at least two weak links that drag everyone else down and otherwise perfectly good performances get ruined. For example, Ray Romano is absolutely brilliant but his kids are so annoying that it totally ruins him. Preston and Jansen are awesome, but the bitchy sister ruins their performances. And so on. Whatever.

149 down, 851 to go.

There's now a very large square cut into the kitchen ceiling, revealing the floor beams from the apartment upstairs. It actually looks kind of cool. Maybe they should take out all of the drywall and make it look all lofty in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home