Wednesday, February 16, 2005

02-16-2005

130) Below. Seeing that the script was written by Darren Aronofsky was enough for me to give this a try. It was pretty decent, if some of the dialogue was hackneyed and the ending was a little more feel good than I'm used to from him (it shows the director and someone else as script writers too, so I'm sure there were some studio friendly rewrites going on). It wasn't as visually striking as it would have been had Aronofsky directed it, but that's probably a good thing. A straightforward action/thriller presentation served the story best, plus a lot of Aronosky's directorial flourishes from Pi made it into Requiem and it seemed like old hat then so I'm sure it would have just been cliched in this. Overall it was a pretty well done ghost/haunted house (or in this case submarine) movie.

131) Friday the 13th Part 3. So I've only seen the first two and Freddy vs. Jason. Big deal, right? I mean, I've always been more of a Nightmare guy anyway. Oh, who am I kidding, I've been living a lie! It's my deepest shame that I've pretended to be a dedicated horror maven all this time and yet have never seen all of the Friday the 13th movies. I mean, I've seen Razorblade Smile, which is quite possibly the worst horror movie ever made, yet the classics have been roundly neglected. I do intend to rectify this terrible oversight in the coming weeks, so there will be plenty of Jason and even a couple of Halloweens (as if my shame isn't great enough) coming up. Anyway, it was kind of odd watching this and remembering how relatively tame the early ones were. This was really just a silly and predictable teen slasher picture instead of the overblown "unstoppable embodiement of evil killing machine" Jason most people associate with the series. It's Part 3 and he's just now getting the hockey mask for Pete's sake! Also, the whole 3D thing is quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen to movies, especially if you are watching a movie shot for 3D without the actual 3D effects. Way too many things being poked and/or thrown at the camera, plus a lot of gratuitous shots just to make full use of the effect. THRILL to the spine-tingling JUGGLING! CHILL to the unholy dance of the YO-YO! So yeah, nothing special, but I'm on a mission to see them all and I have to start somewhere. I kind of wish I could watch the first two again since it's been so long. I don't remember much about them since I was maybe eight and had my head under a pillow for most of the movie when I saw them.

131 down, 869 to go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching scary movies while hiding your face...Robin

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home