Tuesday, November 01, 2005

11-01-2005

813) Marathon Man. Or what your mom calls me. OH NO HE DI'N'T! Anyway, this seems like something that I would normally enjoy but I had a hard time getting into it for some reason. I guess I just wasn't in the mood. I can say that the sequence where the woman recognizes Olivier and chases him down the street screaming "murderer" and for him to be stopped is one of the tensest I've ever seen and Olivier was flat out brilliant in this. When he opens the safe deposit box? That's acting! Actually, thinking back now, the movie was pretty damn good. I just can't figure out why I was so bored during it. Weird.

814) Saw II. I feel kind of strange having seen both Saw and it's sequel both in the theater, and both in the same year. Something just doesn't seem right about that. Anyway, it's kind of a toss up about which is better. The first one was all about the clever and elaborate setups loosely held together by a thin veil of plot, while this one actually had some story to it but was missing the same sense of "dude, that is messed UP" from the first. So take your pick.

814 down, 186 to go.

- If Kim Basinger is serious about turning her daughter against Baldwin the greasy, all she really needs to do is show her The Shadow.

- The ironing is delicious.

- Fucking UAB! Watson is going to barely back into another bowl game and keep on turning in mediocre seasons with a team that's talented enough to own C-USA. As glad as I am that they won, I was hoping they'd drop this one just to keep the heat on him to step down (or at least fire Wayne Bolt and get a DC that doesn't have to leave the locker room at half time five minutes before the team does because it takes him that extra time to waddle his fat ass to the sideline. Drop a flash-fryed cow in between him and Fulmer and my money's on Bolt).

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Shit. I knew there was something on TV I was forgetting to watch tonight. I guess I'm such an SEC elitist that I can't possibly fathom football being played on any day other than Saturday. (Yes, I know Ole Miss played Memphis on a Monday this year, but that's different...it was a holiday!)

9:56 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

I watched the first half and then went to dinner and to see Saw II. It's about this time every year that my heart just isn't into UAB football anymore, since it's about this time every year that they've managed to drop 3 or 4 sure wins and look like a mid major cupcake all over again.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

I saw "The Shadow" in the theater. Didn't think it was so bad. Then again, he still has major props from me for being the original Jack Ryan.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... if missing a bowl game will be enough to get the coach fired, I think there's a good chance you're going to get your wish. What makes you think they're going to beat UCF or UTEP when they didn't beat Marshall? Or the other lame team they lost to, which I forget.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

Because UAB always blows games they should win in the middle of the season and then somehow manages to rally down the stretch and fall bass ackwards into a few wins that they shouldn't. The SMU game was lost on a last second hail mary when Bolt (the DC) did his trademark "we're up by a score, so let's go to the prevent defense and give up a bunch of yardage and try to give this game away!" Marshall and Southern Miss were given away by the special teams (Watson hasn't figured out that "Special Teams" doesn't mean you stick a helmet on the mentally handicapped and let them on the field for a little while for fun). If we had lost to Memphis, who we've beaten six years in a row now, the pressure would have ratcheted up exponentially. Here's the biggest problem with UAB's coaching situation. Watson is both the HC and AD so unless he drops the rest of the season there is no way he'll feel the heat enough to step down. ECU and UCF are very possible and that would put us at 6-5, just enough to get to a lame bowl and for Watson to point out that he had us in the postseason two seasons straight. He's a good recruiter and is single handedly responsible for bringing UAB into 1A, but he is a terrible game day coach and has proven time and time again that he can't game plan for shit. If he were to step down as HC and keep his job as AD then (most) everyone would be happy. It's just very frustrating to see a team that has enough talent to be a mid major power dependent on luck to win instead of solid coaching.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's wasting the greatest quarterback/future bouncer of our time: Hackney. For that he should be caned.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home