Sunday, January 15, 2006

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

So tonight's recipe is not the greatest thing I've ever made. First off, that's just too many beans. I like a meaty chili, so I should have known right off the bat this wouldn't be my favoritest chili of them all. Second, instead of cutting chicken breasts into small chunks, this would probably work better if you were to used ground chicken breast instead. I might play with this some, but for right now I'll just stick with my usual "dump whatever I feel like in a pot" chili.

White Bean and Chicken Chili

3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
1 tsp olive oil
1 large onion (about 1 cup chopped)
1 tbp bottled minced garlic
1 can (15 oz) Great Northern White beans
1 can (19 oz) cannellini beans
1 can (4 1/2 oz) chopped green chilies
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp pepper, preferably white
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
2 tbp cornstarch
2 tbp water
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (optional)
1/4 cup sour cream (optional)

Heat the oil on medium in a 4 1/2 quart dutch over or soup pot. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the pot as you chop. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Cut the chicken into bite size chunks, add them to the pot and stir occasionally. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring occasionally.

While the chicken cooks, rinse and drain both of the beans and drain the chilies. Add the chilies to the pot along with the cumin, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Raise the heat to high, and add the broth and the drained beans. Cover the pot and bring the chili to a boil.

Combine the cornstarch and water in a small container that has a lid. Shake well to remove any lumps. When the chili boils, the chicken should be cooked through. Add the cornstarch mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly. Continue to boil until the chili reaches the desired thickness. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.

1 Comments:

Blogger breadchick said...

I agree with you Todd on this recipe. I didn't make it but it very similar to a recipe I tried last year and it had way too many beans. However, it is also really close to this incredible white bean and chirizo sausage dish I adore from a Tapas place in Stamford, Conn. I may take it and adapt it to that.
Thanks for posting your recipe. Looking forward to some more from you

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home