Friday, January 06, 2006

01-06-2006

Movies:
- Best: Sin City. Originally I was going to put this in the "favorite" column, but after buying the DVD and watching some of the extras I realized that this is a real achievement in film. That sounds a little hyperbolic, but most of the movie was shot in a tiny studio while everything was green screened in, including some of the actors. For example, Mickey Rourke and Elijah Wood have a fight scene, yet neither one of them were on set at the same time. It was incredible to see how it was all put together and then watch it and realize how much was being done digitally in the editing room. I'm blown away.

- Favorite: Shaun of the Dead. Pretty silly, and it started to drag near the end, but the humor was in the details and there were so many little throw away gags that you couldn't keep up with them.

- Worst: Analyze That. Why was this sequel made? Did people actually like Analyze This enough to deserve a sequel? Cause I don't remember it being all that funny. This sure as hell wasn't. I really hope De Niro is happy with himself.

Observations:
- Bama finishes in the top ten and the world of college football is starting to make sense again. Cute Sports points out that Wisconsin is still ranked lower than the Auburn team they flat out whipped monday in the final AP poll. For the most part I'm pretty well in agreement with the standings, though the Wisconsin slight is hard not to notice. Other weird rankings: How did Oregon come in at #12? They were a punk team coasting on a cupcake schedule (I thought SEC teams were the only ones lame enough to schedule D-1AA opponents?) and were exposed by an underrated Big 12 squad. Sound familiar? I'd almost flop them with Louisville and say that's about right if Louisville wasn't such a punk team themselves. Own the Big East indeed...

- I'm going to Sumo tonight to celebrate Steve's birthday. I gotta tell you, I'm not so into these crazy restaurants. I'm more at home at Waffle House or IHOP, but whatever. Hopefully it will be good and Donna won't make us sit at one of the Japanese chefs making lame jokes tables. I hate those guys. The couple of times I went to visit a friend at Furman he always made us go to a Japanese steakhouse and it was always lame, but those crazy Furman kids ate it up! They were weird anyway. One of them was a Spreadhead, so that should tell you something.

- The plan for next weekend is to visit Robin in Atlanta since I haven't been able to do so in quite some time. We're going to Dad's Garage friday night to see Dr. Frapple, which I am very excited about. I've seen their Theater Sports thing a few times and it's always been hilarious, but it will be nice to see something new. At some point I'll have to make my way to T-town since both Hack and Nico are now residents. Hopefully we can get together for a Bama basketball game or something soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

You not only went shopping during the big game, but you went to preppy high school heaven? Are you kidding? Give back your man card, it's been repossessed until further notice.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

giving you my man card sounds so dirty. in my defense, i could have cared less about "the big game." the cotton bowl was the end of the season for me. and the rose bowl was either a USC win in which ESPN continues it's disgusting adulation and proclaims them THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME and mark may proposes that the game of football be banned from universities from now on because there will never be another team as great as this one and any further attempts to play the game will only sully that magnificent feat, or UT wins and...well, i just hate texas so there you go. furthermore, shopping at american eagle is my deepest shame. i have one of those weird "long torso, short legs" bodies (much like robert e. lee, i appear quite tall in the saddle, but weirdly short standing) and ae jeans are the only ones i've found that are comfortable and don't ride half way up my back. i'm not proud. i thought about stopping at sears to buy drill bits or a miter saw on the way out, but i really just wanted to get the GIGANTIC bag to my car and get out of there. for real, why are their bags so huge? you could have fit 10 pairs of jeans in that thing instead of the ONE pair that i did buy.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ok, I didn't say you had to give it to me, I just said you had to give it back ... most likely to the issuer. Get your mind out of the gutter.

I can understand not being interested in the game's participants, but I had to watch. I feel like sports aware if I don't watch championships. I hated falling asleep during the Penn State game and not knowing who won til I got to work. I felt extremely out of the loop.

Also, I'm evil and I watched with the keen desire to see 1)USC get manhandled, thus fulfilling all my hopes and dreams 2)Matt Leinart die a long and painful death .. or alternately, someone punch him in the face as I long to do 3) the Texas Cheerleader and Band Uniforms.

These are all things that would have provided me joy. At least 3 worked out for me.

The Robert E Lee refernce is both hilarious and completely unexpected.

Finally, I think you were supposed to be proud to carry the billboard of a bag and proclaim your affinity for AE. In addition, I think you should stop hiding your real reason for going there: scoping out the high school chicks.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude Nicole hit it dead on...apparently you are becoming even less successful in hiding your lusting for underage flesh...

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A 10 win season, a Top 10 finish and finishing ahead of Notre Dame and Auburn. Only thing that could make it better is winning the whole dang thing.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

My ex was all about those Nipponese steakhouses. I hate those jokers. The funny thing is that most of the chefs, from what I've found, are from Central America.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

nicole - okay, okay, i scoped out the high school action. seriously, who let's their kids out dressed like that?

anonymous (by which i mean robin) - shut your whore mouth.

hack - yep, i turned out to be one of THOSE restaurants. but it was fine, i smiled and caught the shrimp and kept my mouth shut.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ha ha ha. Don't you feel old?

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd is old...but the girls he likes aren't.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home