Thursday, October 13, 2005

This job would be great if it weren't for the customers...

It's been an incredibly long week and I am worn completely out. I went to Best Buy earlier to get a gift for a friend and then spent the better part of the evening sitting on 65 North because "construction" had 2 lanes blocked off and in 20 minutes I moved about a quarter of a mile. No watching movies there. I'm headed to the theater to see History of Violence shortly, otherwise I'd go right to sleep in front of the TV and not get anything done. I'll update tomorrow about the movie and until then, COURAGE. Here are a few anecdotes to tide you over:

- I took a call from a woman who wanted to know what color ink she should mix with white to get grey. I told her black ink. She didn't believe me. She thought mixing black with white would only make dark grey, and mixing dark grey with white was what made light grey. Seriously. I finally had to tell her "well, here's what you do. Mix some black and white in one bucket until you get dark grey. Then take that dark grey and mix it with white in another bucket until you get light grey." That made her happy.

- I took a call this morning from someone wanting to speak to one of the artists. I told her that they don't come in until 9 o'clock and I could have him call her, to which she responded "it's after 9." I looked at my watch. It was 8:19. I asked her where she was located. "New York" was her reply. As delicately as possible I told her "well, this is Alabama and it's only 8:20 here." She asked if we weren't on daylight savings time. I said, "yes, we do observe daylight savings time here, but we are in different time zones." She didn't understand. Again, delicately, I explained that New York is in the EASTERN time zone while Alabama is in the CENTRAL time zone, and thus our time is an hour behind hers. She still didn't get it. Finally, I asked her if she watched TV. She said she does. I then asked if she knew how some TV shows will say "8 Eastern, 7 Central" on the commercials and she said yes, and I said "well we're the ones watching the 7 o'clock show." She got it then.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I used to get that crap from East Coast people ALL THE TIME when I was working in concert promotion in The 'Ham. They'd call and say bitchy things like "What time do you people start working?" not realizing of course that we're on Central Time.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home