Sunday, April 03, 2005

04-02-2005

260) Sin City. Sin City came along at about the same time I was growing more and more frustrated with the continual X-ification of the Marvel Comics Universe and, subsequently, comics all together. Cerebus kept my attention for awhile, but for the most part I lost interest in it around my sophomore year of college (shut up). As a result I missed out on all but the first Sin City stories and always wished I had kept up with them because Frank Miller has always been my favorite comic writer and The Hard Goodbye was absolutely incredible. I was both excited and anxious when I heard about the movie. Excited because I knew Miller wouldn't let something like this be made without his approval (especially after the studio butchering of his script for Robocop 2) and anxious because the artistic style of the comic was so unique and original that I was really afraid that simple black and white photography wouldn't do it justice. Miller's artwork wasn't so much drawings of characters or form as simple separation of light and shadow and it has a striking effect that works magnifecently for the stories being told. But my fears were totally unfounded as the artistic direction and casting were so well done that, at least for Marv's tale, the movie was truly the comic come to life. Anyway, this was just absolutely amazing and I can't wait for DVD so I can watch it again.

261) Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous. I have no problem admitting I liked the original. It was silly and predictable and all, but Bullock was cute enough to carry it all and the scripting was certainly good for the plot it had to work with, which is way more than I can say about the sequel. It was absolutely terrible and really had no business being made. Just awful.

262) Guess Who. I like Bernie Mac a lot, but he wasn't really on top of his comedic game in this. I got the feeling he was trying to tone down the Bernie Mac a little and be a "serious" actor, but it all worked out okay.

263) The Upside of Anger. The ending seemed abrupt and senseless, but for the most part I really loved this. And I figured I would because I like all the stars pretty well (even Costner, God bless me) and it totally restored my love for Keri Russell after we had a falling out over her increasing sluttiness at the end of Felicity's run.

264) Be Cool. I almost have the same problem with this that I had with Ocean's Twelve, in that it seemed like any semblance of a coherent storyline was secondary to a bunch of big name movie stars all being on the screen at the same time. Unlike Ocean's Twelve though, this actually had a story to be based on since Leonard really did write a sequel to Get Shorty so there were actually moments when there was a movie going on, but for the most part it seemed like throwing Travolta and Uma back onscreen together was enough for the producers. Decent, but nowhere near as good as Get Shorty. Oh well.

264 down, 736 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home