Thursday, December 01, 2005

I don't mean to hate December...

...it's meant to be the happy time of year...

- Only one month left and it's going to take some serious push on the weekends to get this done. I'm going to see Yours, Mine and Ours tonight. Charity wanted to hang out and see a movie, and it is literally the only thing out that I haven't seen and also have any interest in seeing. At least of what's playing in the Ham. Since our art theater closed a few weeks ago the selection got a little slimmer around here. Some of the Rave's are pretty good about showing the art/indie/foreign pictures, but the Galleria had turned almost exclusively into an art house theater. Which actually sucked since it was the absolute worst theater in Birmingham, but sometimes you just have to put up with the most uncomfortable seating known to man for a good movie. If I were to ever hit the lottery and had money to throw away on something like that, I'd totally open an independent movie theater. Of course I'd also stand outside and put up a velvet rope and only let people I wanted in, and since I'm known the world over for my snobbish and arrogant ways there would maybe be three people admitted each night and that's just no way to run a business...

- Do you people know how hard Futures rocks? I liked a few songs from Bleed American (namely A Praise Chorus and Authority Song) but I didn't think it was anything special. My 12 yeard old nephew copied Futures for me because I said it sucks (I tell him everything he listens to sucks, since all he listens to is Green Day and A Simple Plan, who royally suck, that's right, I said it, Green Day sucks, they always have and always will!) and he was determined to prove me wrong so he gave me the disc and I listened to it a little at work and didn't really pay attention and told him it sucked too (tough love baby, I'll make him a Skynyrd fan, yet!) and then forgot about it. So fast forward to Monday and I was sick of everything I had in the car and I found this disc that wasn't labeled so I put it in to see what it was, and I've been loving it ever since. I'm not telling Jake though.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

Yeah -- what is it with kids these days? Back in the day, we had Counting Crows, Letters to Cleo, Fiona Apple, Pearl-fucking-Jam, The Cranberries, Smashing Pumpkins, O-fucking-asis, Hootie, Coolio, Blues Traveler, Natalie Merchant's first solo album, Seal, Live, Lisa Loeb, Sarah McLachlan before she sold out, Toadies, Collective Soul...and many, many more.

And you know what? They didn't sound like whiney-assed 13-year-olds, either. Grr.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

I don't know if Sarah McLachlan could be considered whiney, but you have to admit some of her lyrics sounded like they came from the scribbled lines in the margins of an 8th grader's notebook.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Galleria theatre closed? Bastards.

That's the only place you could count on to bring the latest Iranian documentaries!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

yeah, it finally closed down a few weeks ago. there was NEVER anyone there, i'm surprised it stayed open as long as it did, especially after that nice theaters started branching out into the art/indie world more and more. it's kind of sad because i saw so many movies on the big screen there that i never would have gotten to (gosford park, amelie, crouching tiger hidden dragon, with a friend like harry, memento, the luzhin defense, etc), but it was the worst stinking theater ever! no leg room, the seats were so uncomfortable you'd think they were designed to be that way, you always had to go and complain about the sound being screwed up or the projection being half way off the screen. it's looking like brook highland might go back to being the official art house of birmingham now. they always showed the foreign pictures there before the galleria started (it's where i saw the original insomnia), and it's a much nicer theater so i'm happy about that.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Wes Wolfe said...

A great indie theatre in Richmond (Va.) closed down a few years ago, too. It was where I watched "Being John Malkovich" on the big screen. What a shame.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever we move from Orlando, I'm going to miss the shit out of The Enzian.

Sofas, big fluffy armchairs, pizza, beer, hummus....

7:30 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

I wish we had a theater like that here. I'd live there.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home