Sunday, March 12, 2006

It's been awhile since I've felt like cooking anything beyond bacon and eggs, but today I didn't feel like fast food or just making a sandwich, so here we are. This is pretty easy to make so it wasn't a great culinary achievement or anything, but it's good and cheesey and better than just plain old noodles and Ragu. Here's the recipe as it was given to me; my modifications are below.

Baked Spaghetti

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tbs butter
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can (4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
2 tsp dried oregano
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
12 oz spaghetti, cooked and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, drain. Save drippings, add butter. Saute onion and green pepper until tender, add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano, and ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Place half the spaghetti in a buttered 13x9x2 baking dish. Top with half the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat the layer.

Mix the soup and water until smooth, pour over casserole. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 12 servings.

Instead of the can of olives I just added another can of mushrooms, and I used mozarella instead of cheddar and wound up using like 6 cups instead of 2 cause I love cheese and usually wind up doubling (or tripling) whatever any given recipe calls for. I also threw in some red pepper (I don't know about a cup, I just chopped two greens and one red and plopped them in).

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Without Wisconsin you wouldn't be able to have cheesy baked spaghetti goodness. See, we are good for something.

9:21 PM  
Blogger breadchick said...

I'm telling you Todd, you need to participate in the next Weekend Cookbook Challenge. This looks very good and I think I'm making for MBH this week so he won't starve while I'm on a business trip to Vegas ;-)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

If ya'll had Waffle House up there you wouldn't have to worry about it. Just one of the risks you run taking a southern boy up north.

I'd consider the cookbook challenge, but I own exactly one cookbook and I'm not entirely sure how it managed to find it's way into my posession. Everything I make usually comes from something I saw in the paper, the food network, or that woman I work with tells me about and writes down for me.

12:45 PM  
Blogger breadchick said...

LOL on the Waffle House comment. MBH was lamenting the fact we don't have on this past weekend when I "subjected" him to the only thing us Northern "wimin" (his spelling not mine) to a Dennys.

This is on deck for tonight!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home