Monday, January 03, 2005

01-02-2005

One day in and the project is already putting a strain on my personal life. My friend Sarah was mad at me for not hanging out with her because I had to stay home Saturday night to watch more movies.

I woke up at noon on Sunday, a good two hours later than I had planned on (why is it if I want to stay asleep all day I wake up at 8?) so I was already a little behind schedule. Plus, the Steelers/Buffalo game was actually on our local CBS affiliate so I was interested in watching that since inconsequential games of northern teams never get shown here. Quick sports aside, I was glad to see that the "resurgent" Bills couldn't beat what was essentially a second string Steelers team, but I was very sad for Shaud Williams. For those that don't know he was a big name running back at Alabama that didn't go in the draft because he's "too small" but got taken as a free agent by Buffalo. Anyway, he's actually been getting some time on the field and was doing pretty well up there but since the Bills are never shown here I hadn't gotten to see him play until Sunday, when I watched him miss a shovel pass on a third and short. He showed poise and talent in recovering the ball and at least getting it back to the line of scrimmage, but still. So Shaud, better luck next year. During commercials and at half time I started in with the movies, so here's Sunday's list.

6) Deliver Us From Eva. It was actually pretty enjoyable if totally overstereotyped and predictable. I think its funny that there seems to be some sort of film segregation going on in the teen movie market. First The Taming of the Shrew is updated for the white kids with 10 Things I Hate About You and then for the black folks with Eva. And then there had to be a black remake of Can't Buy Me Love with Love Don't Cost a Thing. I'm just wondering when Mean Girls is going to get it's update.

7) Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey usually gets on my nerves but he was tolerable and Jennifer Aniston is always adorable. The movie was actually pretty intelligent for a lowbrow comedy but nothing special. Worth seeing to discover where my roommate got the whole "It's GOOOD" thing from.

8) 48 Hours. I used to have this crazy theory as a kid that movies with a set time in the title should last that long. So like 48 Hours would really take two days to watch and theaters would be outfitted with beds and stuff and you would sleep when the characters slept. I thought that would be so cool, but then you'd have to think about movies like 40 Days and 40 Nights or 9 1/2 Weeks and spending that much time with Mickey Rourke is probably not such a good idea. Anyway, like Jim Carrey, Eddie murphy tends to bother me, but he stayed low key in this one and it was played like a cop drama instead of a buddy comedy (which I'm sure Another 48 Hours will be when I get around to it, a la the Lethal Weapon series). I thought his singing Roxeanne in his cell was priceless, but I guess anyone singing Roxeanne is pretty funny, including The Police. I was kind of shocked by the amount of vulgarity in the movie, which also kind of shocked me that I would notice. When I was younger I noticed a lot of swearing and nudity because I didn't want my parents hearing it coming out of my room and deciding to investigate, but as I get older I find that I'm actually offended by it. Which is hypocritical because I swear like a sailor most of the time, but whatever. I also wasn't too thrilled to see Superman's mom getting mixed up with the likes of Nick Nolte. Jonathan Kent, where are you when we need you?

At this point I took a quick break to hit the grocery store for more Cokes and potatoes (the mashed potatoes from Saturday? Yeah!), and really, just to get up for a little bit. My buddy Tim came over and asked if I was sick of watching TV yet, and really I'm not. I would have watched this much TV anyway. I got lucky that there was no Simpsons or Desperate Housewives on so I didn't have to stop and watch them and could remain on schedule.

9) Welcome to Mooseport. I love Gene Hackman. I love Ray Romano. I love Maura Tierney. And I find myself strangely attracted to both Marcia Gay Harden and Christine Baranski. How could I not like this movie? Easy. It was dumb. Though a cameo by Chi Chi Rodriguez helped ease the pain because my niece and I used to try to guess how people with odd names got them and I had this crazy story about how his father was stung by a bee during the naming process and that's how Chi Chi became Chi Chi. And it's just fun to say. Chi Chi.

10) Kangaroo Jack. The first, and I'm certain not the last, of movies I'll be embarassed to say that I watched in the name of the project. A lot of weirdly adult situations for a kid's movie. When it was in theaters my sister took her kids to see it and was telling me all about it and how funny it was and it was at that point that I realized my sister is a grown up and has had kids for way too long. Anyway, I probably would have been a little uncomfortable taking kids to see it myself because having to explain why Jerry O'Connell grabbing Estella Warren's breast because he thinks it's a mirage and then having an awkward conversation about thinking they weren't real, no wait, not that kind of not real is funny would just be weird. The only genuinely funny point in the movie was during the flight to Australia when the two dopes were discussing the money in the bathroom and the stewardess thinks they are talking about poop. Hee. poop.

So that was Sunday. 10 down, 990 to go.

Johnny English Update: I want to see Johnny English again! The more I think about it the funnier it becomes. I'll have to buy the DVD at some point because it definetely has the makings of an everyday movie for me. I get on these weird kicks where I'll watch a movie over and over again for weeks and doing anything else feels like time that I could be spending watching said movie. Former everyday movie all stars include Billy Madison, Out of Sight, Leaving Las Vegas, and the most recent, Lost in Translation.

Foolish Side Project Update: In addition to "the project" and the five shows that I'm going to keep up with (The Simpsons, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. Yes, I'm such a girl for watching Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill), I've taken to trying to watch Alias. Sarah has all the DVDs for the first three seasons and season 4 starts wednesday. I've been watching episodes after I'm done with the daily movie schedule and I'm currently one episode away from completing the first season. I'm going to try and get the other two done in the next few weeks and just record this seasons until I'm caught up. And of course, football. I'll have to at least off and on watch the Sugar Bowl tonight (please Hokies, don't make us listen to Auburn fans whine for a whole year about how they should be the national champions) so that's it for college football until the fall, but I'll have to watch the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl so that's going to eat into some weekend time for the next few weeks. I'm going to try to build in some extra movies each night of the week and get a little ahead of schedule to stay on track, but we'll just have to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home